Aram Khachatryan Concert Hall is one of Yerevan's architectural gems. The famous Armenian architect Alexander Tamanyan originally designed it in the form of winter and summer halls, with two amphitheatres, which would be separated by their own stages. On special occasions, these two stages and halls were to be united, creating a hall designed for 3000 spectators. Currently, half of the building designed by Tamanyan is occupied by the Yerevan Opera House, and the other half by the Aram Khachatryan Concert Hall.
The building project and model in 1937. were presented at the Paris World Exhibition and won the main prize (Gold Medal). Unfortunately, technical problems and existing conditions, as well as in 1936. Tamanyan's sudden death prevented the full implementation of the project.
World War broke out and construction stopped. After the end of the war, the architect's son, Gevorg Tamanyan, took over the responsibility of building the building. In the second stage, during the construction of the summer theater, when its iron-concrete skeleton was completed, there was an assignment to turn that part of the building into a concert hall, which opened its doors on May 17, 1953, under the name of the Great Hall of the High Philharmonic, which did not change the high craftsmanship of the building. the created volume-spatial image.
Later, in 1979, the Council of Ministers of the Armenian Republic decided to give his name to the Great Concert Hall of the Armenian Philharmonic in order to perpetuate the memory of the famous Armenian composer, conductor, pedagogue Aram Khachatryan.
1981-1983 the building was completely rebuilt and renewed. Later, the subordinate structures and dressing rooms were renovated with Armenian marble and elegant wood. The concert hall was reorganized with new seats, old light fixtures were replaced, and the stage was equipped with modern equipment.
Today, the Aram Khachatryan concert hall is designed for 1276 spectators. Like other notable structures, the original appearance of the building underwent significant changes. Designed as an ornament to the concert hall, the exceptional lobby floor was originally conceived as a double-layered glass composition. One layer was to serve as the floor of the concert hall and was to be shaped like an Armenian carpet. The other was to be the ceiling of the cafe below and covered with special glass (corporeal, flesh-colored glass). Between the two tiers, there were to be light fixtures to illuminate the cafe area. Due to the lack of appropriate technical means, this project had to be abandoned.
In front of the concert hall is the statue of Aram Khachatryan (author: Yuri Petrosyan), which was installed on June 6, 1999, on the occasion of the composer's birthday. This sculpture completes the spectacular view of the Place de France.